by Steve Anderson
Joe Manganiello (born December 28, 1976 in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania) is best recognized for his breakout role in HBO’s True Blood, playing werewolf Alcide Herveaux. With his towering frame and muscular physique, Joe is seen shirtless and in various stages of undress in True Blood to the delight of viewers worldwide. He trained for 5 months to play the character of Alcide. Joe said that, even considering the grueling training, the most difficult aspect of the part was getting Alcide’s Southern accent right.
A classically trained American film and theatre actor, Joe holds a BFA in acting from the Carnegie Mellon School of Drama. He played Flash Thompson in the original Spider-Man and Spider-Man 3, and in addition to a number of small television roles, was known for his recurring roles on tv shows such as ER, How I Met Your Mother and One Tree Hill, before landing his role in True Blood. Joe was also seen in the films Magic Mike as Big Dick Richie and as Davis in What To Expect When You’re Expecting.
Joe has won several awards, including:
• One of People Magazine’s 2010 Sexiest Men Alive
• “Favorite Pop-Culture Werewolf of All Time” by the readers of Entertainment Weekly in 2011
• Winner of the Logo Channel’s 2011 New Now Next “Cause You’re Hot” Award
• Named US Magazine’s “Sharp Dressed Man” of 2011
• One of the world’s 25 Fittest Guys of 2011 according to Men’s Fitness Magazine
• Ranked #1 on Men’s Health Magazine’s best Summer Bodies of 2011
• One of Paper Magazine’s Beautiful People of 2011
• Won the Saturn Award for ‘Best Guest Starring Role in Television 2011’ for his role as ‘Alcide Herveaux’ on True Blood
• Winner of two 2011 Scream Awards for “Breakout Performance – Male” and a shared award for “Best Ensemble” (True Blood)
Aside from his work in film and television, Joe is a huge Pittsburg Steelers fan and is active with several charities including Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC and the Los Angeles based “The Art of Elysium.”
Follow Joe on Twitter @joemanganiello.